A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Search For Bees

In the last few days I went for a walk down the woods very near to my house. I followed the stream looking for a large patch of himalayan balsam that pops up every year. I walked a good distance before I found the area and then started looking to see if there were any Bees, especially Honey Bees, foraging on them. There were plenty of Bumble Bees, but I only managed to see 1 Honey Bee and was unable to photograph it.

Himalayan Balsam

Large Patch of  Himalayan Balsam


I carried on further until I was out of the woods and found a patch of willowherb. There were a few Honey Bees on the flowers but I only managed to photo a Bumble Bee and some other strange insect that I can't identify. Also due to the location of this patch of willowherb, there is a good chance that the Honey Bees I saw were from my hive as it is less than a mile from my hive!

Unknown Insect. Can anyone identify me?

Bumble Bee about to land on Willowherb....
Landed!




No comments:

Post a Comment