The time of year has come again when in my dads allotment there is a ridiculous glut of rhubarb. He has about 3 large plants and possibly a couple more smaller ones and each can produce a good amount each week. Within quarter of an hour I'd managed to pick all the stalks I needed to make a gallon of wine with plenty left over to eat and give away. The recipe I used was the first that came up using a google search and can be found here. I took pictures along the way so you can see what I did.
|Rhubarb growing in the allotment; this is a tiny portion of what my dad grows.|
|Just over 1.5kg of rhubarb|
|Exactly 1.5kg of rhubarb once the ends are trimmed!|
|Cut into pieces; the recipe says about 6mm but I didn't measure!|
|Add 1.3 kg of sugar|
|After a short stirring the rhubarb is already breaking down in the sugar and releasing juice.|
|Cover and then leave for 3 days.|
|Each day I took the cling film off and crushed it to release more juice|
|On the third day I had loads of juice.|
|Using a new cloth and sieve combination I started straining the juice away.|
|The juice was collected in a food grade bucket.|
|What was left over when all the juice was squeezed out of the pulp.|
|250ml of grape juice was added.|
|Finally using cooled boiled water filled up a demijohn. I added yeast, yeast nutrient and pectolase enzyme at this stage and it is popping away nicely!|
All that remains now is to leave it a few weeks then rack it away from the sediment at least once, maybe twice, then bottle it up to mature or just drink! I'll let you know how it tastes!