A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Rhubarb Wine

The time of year has come again when in my dads allotment there is a ridiculous glut of rhubarb. He has about 3 large plants and possibly a couple more smaller ones and each can produce a good amount each week. Within quarter of an hour I'd managed to pick all the stalks I needed to make a gallon of wine with plenty left over to eat and give away. The recipe I used was the first that came up using a google search and can be found here. I took pictures along the way so you can see what I did.



Rhubarb
Rhubarb growing in the allotment; this is a tiny portion of what my dad grows.

Rhubarb Wine
Just over 1.5kg of rhubarb
Rhubarb Wine
Exactly 1.5kg of rhubarb once the ends are trimmed!
Rhubarb Wine
Cut into pieces; the recipe says about 6mm but I didn't measure!
Rhubarb Wine
Add 1.3 kg of sugar
Rhubarb Wine
After a short stirring the rhubarb is already breaking down in the sugar and releasing juice.
Rhubarb Wine
Cover and then leave for 3 days.
Rhubarb Wine
Each day I took the cling film off and crushed it to release more juice
Rhubarb Wine
On the third day I had loads of juice.
Rhubarb Wine
Using a new cloth and sieve combination I started straining the juice away.
Rhubarb Wine
The juice was collected in a food grade bucket.
Rhubarb Wine
What was left over when all the juice was squeezed out of the pulp.
Rhubarb Wine
250ml of grape juice was added.
Rhubarb Wine
Finally using cooled boiled water filled up a demijohn. I added yeast, yeast nutrient and pectolase enzyme at this stage and it is popping away nicely!

All that remains now is to leave it a few weeks then rack it away from the sediment at least once, maybe twice, then bottle it up to mature or just drink! I'll let you know how it tastes!