A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Sunday 30 September 2012

Elderberry Wine

Me and Steph have recently been out collecting Elderberries to make a batch of wine. The recipe required 1.5kg of Elderberries so we had to do more than one trip to get them but luckily we have an abundance of them near to where we live. Once we had picked the berries we then had to remove them from as much stalk as possible; we managed to do this while Lauren was asleep or otherwise busy causing chaos elsewhere! Hopefully at some point next year we will have a few bottles of Elderberry and Elderflower wine ready together, here is my post of the Elderflower wine. Below is the recipe, a few photos and a bit of a method to follow if you want to make your own.


  • 1.5kg Elderberries
  • 1.5kg of Sugar
  • 1 tsp Citric Acid
  • 1 tsp Yeast
  • 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • Water to make up to 1 gallon



Elderberry Wine
Elderberries ready for processing


Elderberry Wine
Using a fork to remove the berries


Elderberry Wine
Finally got 1.5kg of berries!


Elderberry Wine
Small bits of stalk are ok to go through


Elderberry Wine
1.5kg of sugar


Elderberry Wine
Add boiling water, about 1.5 litre (or a full kettle)
Once the water had cooled I added the citric acid, yeast and yeast nutrient, stirred the mix then covered with cling film and left for 5 days.


Elderberry Wine
After 5 days I put the mix through a muslin square and squeezed it to get more juice out


Elderberry Wine
When I had all the wine mix in the demijohn I added more water so it was a couple of inches off the top and have now left it to ferment


4 comments:

  1. Hello Ian - I have just started my elderberry wine too. Isn't stripping berries from their stalks dull? Still, the end result is worth it. Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its definitely not as much fun as picking them! We actually got twice the amount needed so have froze a bag. In the freezer we have elderberries, elderflower and dandelion bagged up ready to go, just haven't enough demijohns!

      Delete
  2. The Elderberry wine is very tasty. Know all about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to tasting it. Near to where I live there are hundreds of elderberry bushes so if this wine is a success I will make a huge batch next year!

      Delete